Ten Tips For Staying Connected While Working Alone
Ten Tips for Staying Connected
Many of my business clients tell me that what they missed most when they started their businesses was the camaraderie of an office setting. Small businesses often start with the owner as the only employee. To combat this sense of isolation here are some suggestions that allow you to interact with people and improve your business at the same time.
1. Strategic partnerships work well for marketing your product or service. An added benefit is that you work with someone else. Consider collaborating on a project or product with a partner and hold face to face meetings.
2. Another marketing strategy is to join networking organizations. They can help you to get referrals but they also are another way to feel the connection to others. If you are missing the closer type relationships that an office provides, develop on-going relationships with some of the people with whom you network.
3. Sometimes all that is needed is to be with people not necessarily interacting with them. A coffee shop might fit the bill occasionally. Take your reading material or computer with you so you can work.
4. Have lunch with a friend or colleague. You need to eat anyway. Just being with a friend in a relaxed setting can energize you and make you less lonely. If you have an issue to discuss with a colleague, suggest lunch instead of a long telephone conversation. You'll both enjoy it more and if you stick to an agenda you'll accomplish your task too.
5. What kind of group would help you and your business the most? It could be a leads group, an R&D team or an advisory board. All give you opportunities to connect. Create a group that serves your business and keeps you engaged and connected.
6. Enjoy a concert or sports activity with a client or customer you like. It is a way to pleasantly stay connected with people you find interesting.
7. Exercise is important to your physical well-being. Find a walking or exercise buddy and take a needed break during the day. Even just a half hour walk with a friend will brighten your spirits and recharge you.
8. Become involved in recreational activities in your area. Bring business cards to your book club, your child's Little League Game or a Golf Tournament. Meet potential customers, relax and keep connected.
9. Develop an ongoing relationship with a mentor or coach. Talk to or meet with your coach or mentor weekly.
10. Take a course at a local college or training center. The course or training could be work related or just something of interest.
Some of the material in this list came from an article "The Power of Connection" by Karen Kahn Wilson found in Fempreneur Magazine March/April 2004 issue. Some of it is my own observation of what I need to do to stay connected. As I review the tasks I have for the up coming week. I make sure I have some that will get me interacting with others.
Alvah Parker is a Business and Career Coach as well as publisher of Parker's Points, an email tip list and Road to Success, an ezine. Parker works with high potential professionals who want have a career that is fun, fulfilling and profitable. Her clients are managers, business owners, sole practioners, attorneys and people in transition. Alvah is found on the web at www.asparker.com">http://www.asparker.com. She may also be reached at 781-598-0388.
Ten Tips For Starting A New Job
1. Get to know people.
#1 Key To Select Right Business Partner
Having business partner or planning to start a business with partnership is a always a win-loose factor. Know one knows the partners inner instinct to deal business in several different circumstances and this is why we see the n number of broken partnerships.
The 10 Benefits of Cross Cultural Training
Cross cultural differences can and do impede upon communication and interpersonal relationships. In the business world this occurs daily, where people from different cultures interact and are expected to perform and make decisions.
7 Keys to Running a Successful Business
Although dentistry may appear to be different than other types of businesses, in reality it is a business. And although this article is written from a dentist's perspective on developing a successful practice, the principles can be used in virtually any business.
7 Steps Toward a Better Website
Creating a website is one thing, making it better is another. Matt shares 7 steps to help you gain a better website.
Top Ten Reasons to Write a Sales Letter for Each Product? - Part 2
Authors/publishers are great at getting their books written. Entrepreneurs know their products.
Management, Balance & Time - 10 Tips for Managing Overwhelm in your Business
How many of us have been in a position where we have more to do than can realistically fit into one day, or week. So we spend all of our time feeling rushed, being rushed, and wondering how on earth we are going to manage.
Ten Tips to Build a Culture of Inspirational Leadership
Leadership, leadership development and leadership training are "Hot" issues in today's business world. A recent Internet search uncovered over 44 million hits on leadership, over 20 million hits on leadership development and 15.
How To Use Bartering To Gain An Advantage Over Your Competition
If you have a business on the Internet you should be bartering goods and services with other businesses. You should always try to trade for something before you buy it.
11 Things Small Business Owners Can Learn From Star Wars
1. Great Things Take Time - Three years passed between the release of each movie in the two trilogies, and a lot of work went in to them.
7 Tips To Increase The Success Of Your Online Business
1. Outsource what takes you too long to doWhen you don't have time to do something, you either don't do it, or do it faster and make mistakes.
The Lazy Person Secrets To Overnight Wealth And Fame
There are so many simple, yet really sure-fire ways of acquiring wealth, it's a wonder everybody with even the least bit of ambition isn't already rich. When you come right down to it, the only things needed for anyone to make bundles of money are the long-range vision and the energy to put a money-making plan into force.
Top 10 Tips on How To Write About Yourself
Many people find it really hard to write for business and marketing purposes about themselves and/or their product or service - much harder than it is to write about someone or something else. If that sounds familiar, read on; in this article professional business writer Suzan St Maur shares her top tips on how to write about yourself and what you do, efficiently and effectively.
7 Secrets to Writing Inventory Procedures
What would You do with $1,000,000With $1 Million would you:? Pay off debt?? Purchase new equipment?? Invest/save for the future?? Give yourself a bonus?$1,000,000 Waiting in the WingsWhat do you and your business need that you have been putting off because you don't have the money today? $1,000,000 certainly would fill those needs. But where do you find $1,000,000 just lying around your business right now? Well, you probably have $250,000 in each of four areas in your everyday business, and you don't even realize it.
The Benefits Of Helping An Online Business Newbie
Do your remember when you first ventured out in the online business world? You probably had questions and problems along the way. Wouldn't it have been easier if you had help? When a newbie asks for your advice, educate them; answer their questions and help them solve their online business problems.
How To Finally Unlock Your True Potential And Discover The Secret To Lasting Success
Did you know that there is one critical difference between average businesses and super-successful businesses?Many of the success experts who are quoted time and time again refer to this one common characteristic as the big differentiator between being mediocre and actually unlocking your true potential.Take a look at the following popular quotes and see if you can identify the common thread that ties them all together.
Seven Questions to Improve Your Business, Your Relationships, and Your Life
Seven Questions to Improve Your Business, Your Relationships, and Your Life
One of the most powerful tools we have as humans is our ability to ask questions. The more adept we are at asking them (and waiting for and listening to the answers), the more effective we will be.
Top Ten Tips When Business is Slow
How's your business going to keep growing with the holidays just around the corner? What can you do when most people don't want to spend money now?If you are concerned the cash flow won't flow and you won't have enough income for the next months, check out these ten tips:1. Create written copy to email your subscribers and other email lists.
10 Reasons to Use Online Banking
With today's technology and people's need for more information it is no wonder that online banking is growing as one of the most popular uses of the internet. Here we have listed the 10 biggest benefits to start using online banking.
10 Things To Do Before You Start Your Business
If you are thinking of starting a new business, or if you are just about to take the plunge, you will know that there is a lot that you have to do. But where do you start? It is a good idea to get some of the groundwork done before you start, possibly this will often mean things that you hadn't thought about, things that most people do as a reaction to circumstances rather than as a planned activity.