Ten Tips For Starting A New Job
1. Get to know people. First meet those people in your department and then those in departments you interface with. Listen more than you talk. Ask lots of questions and get clarification if necessary so you truly understand how the office/department/business works.
2. Don't try to change everything at once. Be open to learning "their" way before you suggest "your" way.
3. Get in synch with your bosses priorities. What are his/her expectations of you? Make sure you are living up to them.
4. Have lunch with different people in the organization. Learn the "unwritten rules" of your new workplace.
5. Learn about the culture. Seek out those people who have been there a long time and schedule time to talk with them.
6. Get to know the key players. Seek out people both inside and outside your area who have roles that are critical to your team's success. Ask for their support and offer yours to them.
7. Identify the critical challenges. Develop a plan that shows the way you will address your most critical challenges and the time frames that you expect completion. Share this with your boss.
8. Complete a project. Select at least one visible project to be completed within your first 60 days in the job.
9. Take care of yourself. Create a schedule for yourself that includes time off and good self-care. Changing jobs is stressful so include activities that you know reduce stress for you i.e. proper rest, exercise, good diet, family time etc.
10. Celebrate your success! Feel good about what you have accomplished. Confidence is an important part of your success in your job.
Alvah Parker is a Business and Career Coach as well as publisher of Parker's Points, an email tip list and Road to Success, an ezine. Parker's Value Program© enables her client to find a career that is fun, fulfilling and profitable. Her clients are managers, business owners, sole practioners, attorneys and people in transition. Alvah is found on the web at www.asparker.com">http://www.asparker.com. She may also be reached at 781-598-0388.
How To Make Money With Your Junk Mail
The term "junk mail" is a well-known term. To the common guy or gal on the street, "junk mail" to them is advertising flyers from the local grocery store and pizza shop that arrive in their mail every day.
1 Step Program to Achieve All of Your Goals
In Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen's original "Chicken Soup for the Soul," I am reminded of the short story titled "Another Check Mark On the List." This is a story about a 15-year-old boy named John who, on one rainy day, when it was too wet outside to play, he decided to write a list of goals.
5 Tips to Manage and Organize E-Mail
How do you focus on your urgent e-mail and organize the rest for your review? Think about how you handle your paper mail. You probably sort your paper mail quickly before you read it to figure out what to look at first, what to read later, and what to throw away.
Top 10 Steps to Build Your Professional Practice Now!
1. Examine everything in your office from the view of a new client! If necessary, spruce it up.
10 Steps for Simplifying Business Plan Financial Statements
For most business owners and entrepreneurs, preparing, and communicating the financial statement section of a business plan is like trying to give driving directions to someone who doesn't speak the same language."Numbers" is the language most investors speak.
7 Keys to Running a Successful Business
Although dentistry may appear to be different than other types of businesses, in reality it is a business. And although this article is written from a dentist's perspective on developing a successful practice, the principles can be used in virtually any business.
Top Ten Things to Do to Make your Signature File Sell
Always include a powerful signature on every email you send out, even to friends. It's even more important when you send out articles to opt-in ezines (no spam) and top web sites in your field--more important than your article's message.
Top 10 Ways to Start a Business For Less Than $500
We've heard numerous success stories of Internet entrepreneurs like Jeff Bezos, who started Amazon.com from his garage, using cheap plywood to construct desks.
How to Apply the 12 Steps for Managment Conflict and Resolution
1. Admit there is a problem.
7 Tips on How To Prepare for Business Events
Are you scratching your head after business events wondering
why you aren't finding prospects? Whether it's your first
or 100th event, here are some tips on how to prepare for
your next event that can make the difference between
scratching and smiling. These tips will help you save time,
money, create memorable impressions, and increase
Seven Ways to Improve Your Results with Follow-up
What follows is a bold statement, but sometimes it takes a bold statement to get people's attention.One of the most important and yet overlooked skills in business today is follow-up.
Ten Tips on Delegating Work
One way to manage your time more effectively is to delegate work to others on your staff or to contract workers you hire for specific projects. How often I hear such comments as, "It takes too much time to delegate.
Ten Steps To Better Listening
Talking is the least important half of any conversation. Listening is the real skill.
7 Money Saving Tips to Decrease Home Business Expenses
We all know that running a home business is highly satisfying, and at times downright liberating! No clock to punch, no dress code, and best of all, no boss to answer to. But there are also many facets of business ownership that entrepreneurs must stay on top of.
Bookkeeping Techniques For Morons
Please don't think I am calling you a "moron" to hurt your feelings in any way. I was a moron when I first started setting up my files.
#1 Key To Select Right Business Partner
Having business partner or planning to start a business with partnership is a always a win-loose factor. Know one knows the partners inner instinct to deal business in several different circumstances and this is why we see the n number of broken partnerships.
Top Ten Tips for Improving Your Cash Flow
Cash is king-so they say. If you work for yourself or someone else, you need to be aware of ways to improve the cash flow.
Top Ten Tips When Business is Slow
How's your business going to keep growing with the holidays just around the corner? What can you do when most people don't want to spend money now?If you are concerned the cash flow won't flow and you won't have enough income for the next months, check out these ten tips:1. Create written copy to email your subscribers and other email lists.
Business Goals - The 10 Commandments
The Ten Commandments of Goal Setting
While it's good to set goals and work them into a proper plan, the fact is many people succeed in business without setting any goals. Be careful not to set your goals too high.
Event Planning: Seven Best Practices Successful Planners Use
Do you plan events for the corporate world like product launches, conferences, seminars, etc? If so, check out these seven practices of successful event planners.It's easy to dismiss these points thinking they're trivial.