10 Ways to Develop A Free Agent Attitude
Whether you are self employed or you work for someone else, it is useful to have a free agent attitude. The past few years have shown us that working for someone else is temporary at best. No one has a job for life. Free agents recognize that they are responsible for their own career. They don't wait for others to help them plan their career. They manage it themselves
1. Develop a vision of your ideal life. Include all parts of your life including your work/career, family, friends, lifestyle, spiritual endeavors, personal growth, leisure etc. As you move toward being a free agent let your vision draw you forward.
2. Know what your strengths, talents and skills are. These will be the basis of the offer you make to your clients/customers or employer. Develop a use for your talents that is unique and exciting to you. Be able to articulate the value of your offer clearly to others.
3. Have a learning plan to fill in the gaps and broaden your offer. Watch the trends to ensure your skills remain relevant.
4. Volunteer to do projects that showcase your talents. Volunteering is a great way to use new skills and get some experience behind you. Choose projects that put you in touch with new contact who can help you.
5. Find a mentor or coach to help you. It is helpful to have someone to talk to as you move forward. A mentor can show you the ropes in your workplace or incustry. A coach can help you manage the rough spots and address any fears you have.
6. Make a list of EVERYONE you know and put his or her information into a contact management program. A network is very important to your career. You will draw on it to find employment and/or customers. Make it easy to access it and find people. Keep it updated with current information.
7. Make the effort to meet new people and add them to your contact management program.
8. Stay in touch with your network of contacts continuously. Keep them informed of what you are doing.
9. Begin by finding ways to create opportunities to do some work that you see there is a need for at home or part time. If you work for someone else this may mean moonlighting or freelancing.
10. Develop a "How can I help you?" attitude. Act as a referral agent for other free agents and then ask them to do the same for you.
Alvah Parker is a Business and Career Coach as well as publisher of Parker's Points, an email tip list and Road to Success, an ezine. Parker's Value Program© enables her clients to find their own way to work that is more fulfilling and profitable. Her clients are attorneys, business owners, managers, and people in transition. Alvah is found on the web at www.asparker.com">http://www.asparker.com She may also be reached at 781-598-0388.
The 10 Benefits of Cross Cultural Training
Cross cultural differences can and do impede upon communication and interpersonal relationships. In the business world this occurs daily, where people from different cultures interact and are expected to perform and make decisions.
Surviving When Clients Arent Rolling In
As the holiday season starts to settle in, the workload for many Micro-Businesses can slow down.Service-based businesses in particular consider this a slow time of the year.
5 Things You Must Do Well When Buying a Business to Not Get Burned
Are you not sure what Business to buy? Need to know what is a fair deal?Martin Smith thought he was buying an established business with good credit and collectable accounts receivable. The day after settlement the surprises began.
The Warning signs of Online Fraud and How To Avoid It
The number may seem grim for Web-based commerce. In 2004 in the Unites States alone, computer users logged in more than 207,000 Internet fraud reports to the U.
Why Clarity Is Essential To Building Massive Momentum In Your Business
Clarity is an absolutely essential ingredient for you to achieve your full potential in business. Napolean Hill, in his classic book Think & Grow Rich, said "Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
Positioning Your Company for Debt Financing
Positioning Your Company for Debt Financing:There was a time in the old days when going to the bank was the only way to get outside capital for your business. These days with the explosion of raising equity investment, many of the guidelines for running a company have been revolutionized.
Top 10 Tips on How To Write About Yourself
Many people find it really hard to write for business and marketing purposes about themselves and/or their product or service - much harder than it is to write about someone or something else. If that sounds familiar, read on; in this article professional business writer Suzan St Maur shares her top tips on how to write about yourself and what you do, efficiently and effectively.
The Ten Best Kept Secrets For Protecting Your Business Property Against Theft
1. Locks and Padlocks - Locks on all outside entrances and inside security doors should be double cylinder deadbolts with removable collars.
Why Dont They Just Get It Done: 7 Performance Tactics for CEOs
Buckling under the weight of chronic corporate restructuring, and frustrated by performers who don't respond to carefully crafted strategic plans, high level executive leaders are being confronted by a growing performance gap between what needs to get done and what gets done.Sound familiar? It's a troublesome trend that is likely happening in your firm right now.
Top Ten Tips for Online Publishing Success
Use the checklist below to make sure your article, tip, or book excerpt will get published and make you a household name on the Internet.
How to Counsel Your Non-Performing Team Members - 10 Tips
Counselling non-performing team members is a tough part of any managers role. This article is full of tips to help you perform this difficult role.
Famous Business Strategies
Either simply a looker-on or a player in the world of business, you see millions piling into the accounts of world's most famous businessmen and naturally the question pops "How?", wondering what is the alchemy they've discovered? Yet, there is no magic here - it's mostly pure strategy. And what it takes to spot it and make it real.
Shaking Your Money Tree: Seven Ways to Make Quick Cash
Does your business have a money tree you can shake when a little extra cash is needed? Every business should have one!What I mean by a money tree is something you can do to quickly generate revenue when you need it. Where can you find a money tree? Although you can't buy one at your local garden store, they are more common than you might imagine.
7 Reasons Why Training Doesn't Produce the Desired Results and What You Can Do To
Seven Reasons Why Training Doesn't Produce the Desired Results and What You Can Do To Improve Your Results
OverviewAbraham Maslow said, "If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail." As managers, leaders and change agents, we want to improve our organizational performance.
11 Things Small Business Owners Can Learn From Michael Dell
1. Think Big - In college, Michael Dell said he wanted to "beat IBM.
10 Dos and Donts Of Customer Services
Email etiquette is the key to help calm down anxious and impatient customers. People assume that once they press the "send" button that we will get everything sorted out in an instant!
Of course we all know that this is not an accurate representation of how things work.
Event Planning: Seven Best Practices Successful Planners Use
Do you plan events for the corporate world like product launches, conferences, seminars, etc? If so, check out these seven practices of successful event planners.It's easy to dismiss these points thinking they're trivial.
Ten Steps To Better Listening
Talking is the least important half of any conversation. Listening is the real skill.
Tips to Starting your Own Busniess
The 9-to-5 grind can make you feel like a just another cog in the corporate machine, constantly punching the clock for someone else's vision. One day, while dreaming of the world outside the cubicle, you have your big "Eureka!" moment-you've come across an idea so perfect that you need to start your own business around it.
Business Goals - The 10 Commandments
The Ten Commandments of Goal Setting
While it's good to set goals and work them into a proper plan, the fact is many people succeed in business without setting any goals. Be careful not to set your goals too high.